Making modchips for the Nintendo GameCube (XenoGC Clones)

Been taking advantage of “wrapping wire” and protoboards that I bought using Christmas gift cards from last month.

Modded a gamecube with a homemade modchip, this lets it play backups as well as “homebrew” software such as emulators.

I also built a microcontroller programming “shield” to replace the mess of wires and breadboard I had been using previously. Now I can easily load programs onto microcontrollers without having to worry about which wire went where, and can free up the breadboard for future projects.

Collecting sensor data with a Raspberry Pi


For the past year I’ve been working off and on (as time permitted,) a volunteer project with one of my CS instructors.

The goal of the project is to replace MogulWireless’ outdated, $200 embedded Linux SBCs (Single Board Computers,) which they currently use to collect and submit the sensor data, with $35 Raspberry Pi SBCs. (Seen in the lower right of the picture.) The previous software company that wrote the original program has since gone into bankruptcy, so we did not have access to the original source code, and have been writing a new program from scratch. (Which we’ll be giving a copy of the source code to them so they can always port the program to different hardware.)

The program listens for binary data being received on a serial connection, decodes the binary data into useful information, namely temperature and humidity values, and then submits that data to a web server. I believe Mogul’s main customers are hospitals and other health related industries where real-time monitoring is important for temperature sensitive items.

The decoding binary data part has actually been done for a couple months now. Currently we are finalizing what format the data will be sent in, and writing sub-programs to automate the uploading process.

It’s nice to see a long-term project be so close to deployment for stress testing. We need real world testing to determine if there are any performance issues, as these receivers will be listening to possibly hundreds of sensors every minute. The project has been an awesome experience of the kind of things I’d like to do for a living.

Numbers and Logic and Wires, oh my!

Ended up arriving at school an hour early by mistake. So I went in the lab to finish up wiring this week’s project.

Takes two 2-bit variables (the two numbers shown in the bottom left,) and the sum is displayed on top. There are three sub-circuits shown, one group of chips controls the input displays, the second group controls the adding, and the third group controls the output display.